Saturday, February 14, 2015

For Pops

I don't just love girls, I love my old man:

As I sat there pouring over your perspective I couldn't help but love you even more.
I think of you as a tree that grew from a sprout that grew from a sidewalk crack in a scorching Fontana, CA sun.
You've chosen the best part. The amount of support you had in the right direction  was about as strong as an un-splinted broken leg
You didn't have to climb all the mountains you did,
instead you ran them.
The man I love most, became who he was in Brookville, Pennsylvania; through every new kid school yard fight; through every girl he chose not to kiss because that was the right thing to do; through every tender, spirit-filled teaching moment; through every watery eyed grown-men-can-cry moment; through every love filled let me-give-you-a-blessing-because-you're-hurting moment; and by saving your mom countless times over.
I love you because you loved me first. No one knows this, but whenever I am writing about you, I don't write "dad," but "Dad."
Because you deserve it.
Your example has showed me the way. I remember a night when I sat listening to you telling me about something I've already forgotten, but I remember sitting there, looking at you, at the man you are, and living in the moment because I was with my Dad living in something I wouldn't have forever.
I'll be gone in less than two seasons, and I've felt the advice to make more family time far before it was ever given.
We're right, and I'm not mad. Just like I'm grateful for the time that hurt us the most.
When I quit football I first thought of you. I've never wanted to let you down. I've relived every time you've told me "you're a good boy (my name)," too many times to count.
This life I'm building, it's a monument to you.
Because I wanted to prove to you I could work.
Because if I was hard-working, I knew I'd be like you.
And I've arrived.
Now watch me continue to arrive.
I've followed in every footstep in the snow you've left, as clumsy as I may be, but I'm following.
I will always be growing up to be like you.
I love you Dad.

7 comments:

  1. This poem has more love in it than any grocery store valentine card could ever dream of holding.

    Wow. This really put things in perspective for me and I think I'll go have lunch with my own old man now. I've read this post 3 times and I love it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweetest thing I've read all week. thanks for this. excuse me while i go give my dad a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just really really really really (emphasis on really) hope your dad reads this. thanks for writing beautiful things Walter Mitty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So inspiring! The world needs more people like you, Walter Mitty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walter Mitty,
    ive loved your blog since the start but this made me fall for you. Its beautiful and gives me faith in men ya know? So thanks.

    ReplyDelete