Saturday, February 7, 2015

My Two "Unknowns"

Just like the boy in the sword and the stone I've been tugging at the unknown for some time.
But I have two of them.


I've hoped to say everything I couldn't,
but my obscurity wears out faster than a pair of work pants.


Excuse my persistence,
but please be flattered by it.


We're have similarities.
We both passed chemistry with an "A"
but failed to admit it to ourselves.


Last year, I needed a punch in the face
and a new pair of corrective lenses
because I couldn't see what I was doing.


Please give me both,
a punch and new lenses,
because my greatest fear is of sliding in that direction again.
And I'll go where I can except when I can't.


I've never really been tempted to smoke cigarettes
because sprinting past asthma was suffocating enough.


I've never really been tempted to drink
because my desire to feel like puking
has been gratified through conditioning workouts.


But November has been marinating in my mind,
and December still makes me shiver,
and November took my breath away,
and December makes me think of that midnight car ride,
and January was uneventful,
but February should kiss one of my two unknowns good-bye.


So here is to the other unknown.
If you've read my poetry you've read me.
So read my everything,
and feel my subliminals pulsing.

2 comments:

  1. "I've hoped to say everything I couldn't,
    but my obscurity wears out faster than a pair of work pants."
    this line is top notch.

    also last two paragraphs just got me.

    this post: you killed it--in a veryyy good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We both passed chemistry with an 'A' but failed to admit it to ourselves"
    I relate completely and this post is incredible.

    ReplyDelete